Thursday, September 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

The same mystique that causes people to make new plans and set new goals/resolutions on the first of January always hits me again in late July and early August as I begin to plan for the coming school year. We are off and running now, with two whole official weeks of this school year already over! It's been going very well and we've all been enjoying ourselves immensely. I didn't think I had any special need for a first-of-the-year-get-it-in-gear motivational experience of any kind. Wow was I wrong!

Sunday was the dedication of the Newport Beach California Temple. We’ve known since early summer that Woody was going to have the opportunity to sing with one of the dedication choirs. Late in July we found out that I was to be blessed with the chance to be in attendance at the temple during the same session, to share that experience with him. The anticipation would have been killer if we hadn’t been so busy this summer!!

It turned out to be an even more incredible day than I ever imagined. We were not even in the same room, and I only saw President Hinckley’s hand as he walked by the door of the room I was in and waved at us, then on the big screen, and then from a distance as he departed the site surrounded by amazing security. HOWEVER, the spirit that I felt that day was something I truly will not ever forget. I’m renewed, re-energized, and readier-than-ever for the coming year.

Does it matter that my arthritis doesn’t give me many breaks or that our new schoolroom wasn’t ready for the first day of school or that the air conditioner went out and the bill used up our cash reserve when both cars still need servicing or that the craziness of the summer has left the yard in a state resembling the Amazon or even that ant season probably won’t be over for another month? (Well…)

Nope. What matters is that I have a fantastic family and that we are doing what we need to be doing to get where we want to go and to be what we know we should be. One small step at a time, maybe, and most assuredly, there are things we can improve on, but we’re moving along the right road in the right direction and we’re doing it together.


So let’s celebrate!

Happy New Year!

7 Comments:

At Thu Sep 01, 10:17:00 AM PDT, Blogger Woody said...

What a woman! Congrats on your new blog. I have, of course, no bias ;-)

Enjoy!

 
At Thu Sep 01, 11:25:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no bias either. I really loved it! I'm so glad you're writing. Hope you keep it up. I'm starved for family news.

Mom

 
At Thu Sep 01, 11:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mrs. Woody said...

Thank you very much... I don't know if encouraging me is a good thing or not. We may have unleashed a monster! I guess only time will tell. :o)

 
At Thu Sep 01, 01:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger AnoelleB said...

It really is addictive, it's true. Hope you enjoy writing it as much as we enjoy reading it!

 
At Thu Sep 01, 02:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger David B. said...

Congratulations on your blog! My wife is homeschooling our son son this year, and she just started her blog as well.

We wish you well in your homeschool, and in your family.

Our back yard had its share of trouble this year too. We never did get a garden planted, and it is full of weeds now. When my brother from out of town came to visit a few weeks ago, I told him that the garden space was our "Wilderness Study Area". -- I do miss having home-grown cherry tomatoes though! We'll get it all cleared off this fall (along with painting the fence), then the back yard will be presentable again.

Take care for now, I'm sure we'll be stopping by again.

 
At Thu Sep 01, 02:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger David B. said...

Oh, one more thing, if you would like to visit my wife's blog, you can do so here.

 
At Thu Sep 01, 03:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Mrs. Woody said...

As an official blogger of almost half a day, I can truly say, so far, so good! I've been a frequent lurker ever since Woody started HIS blog, but as all good mamas know, getting actively involved almost always enhances the experience! ;o)

And, David B., I've already begun visiting your wife's blog, and VERY much enjoy it. I especially liked the tale of the goat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home