Saturday, September 17, 2005

Regarding a Prophet Husband

While Woody is outside attempting to locate our yard (I’m pretty sure it’s hiding somewhere in the jungle out there!) and the Woodyettes are taking advantage of a beautiful sunny, cool, almost-autumn day to do some adventuring of their own, I thought I’d make an attempt at organizing my thoughts. I should probably be organizing the stuff in the old office, or doing laundry, or some such domestic chore. Soon.

It has been a week full of firsts. When I was in high school, I was SO faithful about writing in my journal. I am sorry to say that I have NOT been faithful about doing so ever since. I have missed the chance to record my thoughts and feelings about some incredibly important firsts as they happened. BUT, there is still LOTS of life to be experienced, and many firsts yet to come. So onward and upward! (WARNING – This may get a bit long… I’ve got a LOT on my mind!!)

Thoughts about Sunday, Sept. 11, 1st RS lesson taught for the 2005-6 year

I really enjoy teaching Relief Society… well, mostly. As much as I love the teaching part, the fact that the class is made up of ADULT women tends to make my stomach do acrobatics beginning about 12 hours before the class actually starts. I truly do love the lesson preparation, though. It is so good for me to have a specific gospel topic to study and focus on. It may be trite, but true, that the teacher learns so much more than the students do, no matter what the topic.

I feel a huge responsibility to rely on the spirit both as I prepare and teach these lessons. When I was set apart, the Bishop spoke to us about the fact that there are quite a few sisters who have been choosing not to attend Relief Society. He said that part of the reason I was being called was to help the sisters to want to be there. My teaching style is definitely different than any other of the current RS teachers… so far I’ve taught three lessons and they haven’t “fired” me yet, or even asked me to change my methods, so I guess I’m doing all right. Woody reminded me just yesterday, no matter how old we are, we all appreciate hearing “well done.” It feels even better to hear, “Thank you… that’s just what I needed to hear.” I do love teaching, and being appreciated for doing something I love is nice… and have to say that I am very grateful that our Heavenly Father has been blessing me with talents and opportunities to teach since I was very young.

(One problem with using this blog as a journal is that it is obviously NOT private. The idea is to share my thoughts, but if I come across as egotistical, it’s only because the only thoughts I have the right to share/publish are my own! If I make you crazy, obviously you can point and click and go read something else. ;o)

This calling is also good for me because it is really helping to form and strengthen relationships with the sisters in our ward. The gospel is always the same and always true, but all wards are not created equal. We have a wonderful one, but it took me/us a while to figure that out. More on that later, maybe.

This particular lesson, chapter 15 in the David O. McKay book, was an especially cool one to teach. (If you haven’t read it, you should. You can find it here.)

Yup, I said cool! I’ve always loved Pres. McKay, and now I have even more reasons to do so. He was an incredible husband! Just like my Woody in LOTS of ways! I recognize how blessed I am to have the most important someone in my earthly life share so many awesome qualities with a prophet!! ;o) Woody has a LOT to live up to… because now not only do all the sisters in the ward know how great he is, but his reputation as a fabulous hubby was also made known to the Elders of the ward during their priesthood lesson, by a reluctant Woody himself!


Hopefully none of the OTHER hubbies will find his example too hard to live up to and go postal on us! We could find our jungle outside covered with T.P.!

2 Comments:

At Thu Jan 11, 11:16:00 PM PST, Blogger momofemmett said...

Dear Sister Woody,
I read through your blog, and enjoyed it tremendously. What a woman you are! I hardly attend RS because of my back/neck pain. It is hard just to get through Sacrament. I have the new book, and intend to read it, but have put it off because I can't hold it up with a magnifying glass for long, my hands go to sleep and the neck problems cause my arms to hurt bad. Stop belly aching!
David O. McKay was my mother's favorite prophet. We aren't supposed to have favorites, but mine has always been Spencer W. Kimball. But listening to what you had to say, I MUST start reading my book!
I appreciate your blog. What site am I on? I clicked on something on my email about lapbooking, and got here, and saw the word "Prohpet" in your list of things, and clicked on it, figuring something derogatory! We have had some arguments in the newspaper recently about "Mormons", all set off by some antimormon literature being passed out in our last parade! So, my mind was on that mode when I read "Prophet husband". I'm very glad the Spirit prompted me to click on it.
If you don't have too much going on, I'd love to hear from you. my email is momofemmett@gmail.com
if you have a notion to write.
Thanks for putting this up there!
Jan in Missouri

 
At Fri Jan 12, 01:11:00 PM PST, Blogger Mrs. Woody said...

Jan,

You're very welcome. I'm glad it helped you. A suggestion from my dh -- if it is easier for you, the full books on Teachings of the Prophets of the Church are available online. You may want to check it out at lds.org. I tried to include the specific link here, but it was too long. Let me know if you need, and I'll help you find it.

I'll email you personally. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home