Friday, March 14, 2008

St. Patrick's Day the Homeschool Way

St. Patrick’s Day has officially been moved to Saturday, March 15th this year, because if left to it’s own devices, it interferes with Holy Week.

We’ve decided to focus on Easter this year, but the girls did make some great St. Patrick’s Day lapbooks a couple of years ago. There are some great ones available now, but when we did ours we were on our own. First ours:

Front covers – Mosaic art

Lapbook open – Cloze story (w/word bank words crossed out), Printing name practice, jointed leprechaun, flag of Ireland, March calendar, Lucky Charms accordion book, Music of Ireland

Open showing detail of Lucky Charms accordion book and two of the Music of Ireland minibook pages

Open with top extension flap lifted (Doodle’s) – left flap: Potato Pandemonium shape book include info about potatoes, shamrock fan book has a wish written on each of the three leaves

Open with top extension flap lifted (Jelly’s) – Top extension shows When? Why? Double-flap book and Where in the world is Ireland? shutterbook; slightly different arrangement of minibooks than Doodle’s

The girls LOVED dressing up like leprechauns! It was a little tricky at first, but when we raided MY closet for green (just happens to be my favorite color!) we found shirts that worked great as leprechaun tunics.

Both extension flaps open - You can see the detail of the potato preference graph on the lower one.

The Pot of Gold shape book holds a original illustrated poem titled Where is the Pot of Gold? Here’s Jelly’s as told from the leprechaun’s point of view…

It’s not in my shirt, it’s not on Squirt,
It’s not on Matt, it’s not where I sat.
It’s not on my cat, it’s in my HAT!

And the back covers --


And now, check out these St. Patrick’s Day resources!!

Download a FREE lapbook at Homeschool Helper.

Homeschool Share has four FREE literature studies for St. Patrick’s Day!

Knowledge Quest also has a FREE unit study for St. Patrick’s Day.

Hands of a Child has two lapbook choices:
Learning with Leprechauns (for Early Childhood) and
St. Patrick’s Day, which you can easily adapt for ANY age!!

Live and Learn has a free one that you can download if you join their yahoo group here.

You can find some great St. Patrick’s Day math ideas and links to printables at Googol Learning.

Send someone a green e-card, at Dover.

I’ll leave you with this bit of Irish wisdom,

You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.
--Irish Saying

So, don’t just think about it, DO IT!

And then have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Fri Mar 14, 06:18:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope your blog posts are getting "out there" to folks who are home schooling. You have so many fantastic ideas and would be a fantastic teacher of home school parents. The girls are so blessed. I just caught up on the last 3 posts and loved them. The girls' lapbooks were great!

MomZ

 
At Fri Mar 14, 11:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger Mrs. Woody said...

MomZ, You do my heart good! :o) Some of my internet and local friends HAVE let me know that they appreciate my blog, but most of them are too shy to comment. ;o)

I did get permission from a wonderful lady who really has been a homeschool mentor to me (I'm not sure she even knows that!)to post an email she sent to me this morning. Thank you, ME!

ME(her initials)wrote:

Your St. Patrick's Day sounds like a hoot! You always do the "funnest" activities!

If you're looking for green foods for St. Patrick's Day, one of my daughter's favorite foods is Green Potatoes. It is regular mashed potatoes, but with this difference—in a separate saucepan, while the potatoes are boiling, I boil a batch of kale (stems removed) in a small amount of water. You may not be familiar with kale, but it is a dark green leafy vegetable that is very high in vitamins and minerals, especially calcium. It can be bitter in the summer but when grown in the winter as it should be, it is something like spinach but prettier. Anyway, when it is soft, I blend it up including the water (but be careful—if you boiled it in too much water it could make the potatoes runny). Then I add it to the potatoes and whip them with my hand mixer as usual. My family doesn't notice a taste difference, but they sure LOOK different. It's a great way to add nutrients and fun to your food!

~ME

 
At Sat Mar 15, 12:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mrs. Woody said...

ME,

Thanks so much for this... we're gonna give it a try on Monday. We're going to have green eggs, sliced green apples, and green milk to drink for breakfast, a green tossed salad (romaine, baby spinach, celery, zucchini, cucumber, etc.) with split pea soup for lunch, and I hadn't quite figured out dinner yet. I was thinking about Irish stew and Irish soda bread, but I like your idea of Green Potatoes. Can you get any more Irish than potatoes? Now I just need something to go with it. Ideas anyone??

Maybe we'll have green Mormon jello for dessert. LOL

 
At Wed Mar 26, 08:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm so envious. Mine didn't turn out quite that nice...oh well there is always next year. Very cute, great work. What did you do for easter?
Thank you so much for sharing.
Vanessa M
http://mcalhaney.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home