Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wonderwood Read-a-thon

I hoped it wouldn't happen, but it did.

I have succumbed to the family cold and feel basically miserable.

So, when there's no energy for anything else, we have read-a-thons. They work differently at different times. Here's what we did this time:

* Regular morning devotional, including a GREAT old book by Emma Marr Petersen (the wife of Elder Mark E. Petersen), Book of Mormom Stories for Young Latter-Day Saints. It's out of print, but we found it used and very inexpensive at Amazon.com.
* Math (Awww, Mama!)
* Read-a-loud for science - Currently we're reading a Magic School Bus Book, Rocky Road Trip
* Silent reading time - The girls kept track of the pages they read, writing down page numbers each time they started and stopped, and earned one minute of family game time for each page read. Woohoo! They get to cash in when everyone feels good enough to play.

Mama read too, but my pages don't count toward game time. ;o) We use Homeschool Tracker to log the independent reading everyone does, including Mama and Daddy Woody.

I've been hearing a lot lately about the Charlie Bone books, so we picked up the first one at the library last week and asked Woody to read it. He'll post his review soon. For now I'll just say that Jelly and I will probably both be reading it soon.

I'm currently reading the Elm Creek Quilts novels, by Jennifer Chiaverini, and enjoying them a lot. Good stories for and about women. Jelly actually read the first one after I did, and enjoyed it. I decided not to let her read the next two, but only because they deal with more adult themes. NOT at all inappropriate, though, just more about grown-up reality than a 10-year-old needs to think about. No offensive language or anything. She asked when she COULD read them. I told her when she's 16. We'll see.

I'm also reading Peculiar in a Good Way by Mary Ellen Edmunds. It's the kind of book I read a bit at time, so I can think about and absorb what she says. I've loved MEE ever since she worked at the MTC when I was there before going on my mission to Honduras. She is so much fun to read/listen to, and also really touches my spirit.

Cross-Country Quilters is on the okay list if she wants to read it (the 4th in the Elm Creek series), but for now, Jelly is in the middle of about five different series.
* Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series
* The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley
* The Wild Horse Island series by Terri Farley
* Animal Ark books by Ben M. Baglio
* Boxcar Children books by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Of course, there are lots of NON-series books mixed in, too. Jelly is an AVID reader.

Doodle is current reading Dragonsdale by Salamanda Drake, The World of Pooh by A.A. Milne, and various other classic tales about girls - Pollyanna by Eleanor Porter, and Heidi by Johanna Spyri, for example. She's my modern-day old-fashioned girl, and loves reading "old-fashioned" adventures about girls.

What're YOU reading?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thu Feb 21, 10:21:00 PM PST, Blogger Woody said...

Mostly I'm reading my sweet wife's posts, but I'll post the Charlie Bone review shortly.

Woody

 
At Fri Feb 22, 09:13:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice, for the book club in our ward. Also, family blogs because my family is pretty darn cool - colds, Cheeseburger stories, and all that fun stuff notwithstanding. Aunt Deb :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home